Day 51 - 3000 miles

Mohave to Bakersfield, CA
73 miles (3004 all together!)

UP over the Tehachapi Mountains. It was a great, confusing, winding, challenging, fast, scary, fun ride. Maxed out at 40 mph. I'm in Bakersfield with a friend of my fathers, getting ready to sleep a big comfortable bed.

Thursday, Nov. 13th
Day 50 - Apple Valley to Mohave, CA
95 miles (2933 cumulative)

Wrong turn outside of Victorville sent on a different route than I had planned. I decided to just ride today and ride hard and it paid off, witness todays mileage.

Wednesday, Nov. 12th
Day 49 - Joshua Tree to Apple Valley, CA
62 miles (2838 cum)

Today I met a weathered old timer with a big white beard named Art who had been touring for 6 or 7 years. He carried his 12 year old dog in his handle bar basket. He seemed so happy with his life on the road. Camped out in a hoarse park. Weird juxtopostion of desrt, and irigated lawns and trees. I can hear the coyotes yippering.

Tuesday, Nov. 11th
Day 48 - Middle of the Desert to Joshua Tree, CA
74 miles (2776)

Wow. I woke up to moon setting, which brilliantly disorienting from my sleepy sleeping bag. Then while breaking camp before sunrise, I witnessed a few meteors. In 29 Palms i ate breakfast, water up and started the climb into Joshua Tree National Park. On the way up some little idiot thought i looked thirsty so he threw his bottle of Propel Water Product at my neck from the window of his moving car. He probably didn't realize I had just filled up my water bottles. It was a great adrenaline boost to help me get up the mountain. It was a freaking awesome place! I had a great ride through the place! The rocks! The boulders! The plant life! Oaugh! Then I tore back down the mountain out of joshua Tree into the town of Joshua Tree where there was a free campground for climbers, hikers, adventures and the like. There was a cool guy there camping out in his van who spent the summers climbing in the Sierras and the winter climbing in Joshua Tree and we had a good long talk before going to bed. Seperately.

Monday, Nov. 10th
Day 47 - Big River to ?Middle of the Desert on California 62?, CA
76 miles (2702)

I rode to Vidal Jct. for breakfast, but the cafe there was for sale, so I filled up on water for the 90 miles of nothing in the desert. Along the way i met another tourin cyclist on his way to Moab, Ut from LA. I'm camped up in the rocks near the side of the high. The sunset was so pretty, it made me laugh outloud.

Sunday, Nov. 9th
Day 46 - CALIFORNIA!!!
Hope, Arizona to Big River, CA

63 miles (2626)

Wind was blowing hard and dusty! Worked hard, rested for a bit in Parker, arizona, then crossed the dam on the Colorado River over into California! This is the state where the Pacific is. Exciting, isn't it. I tried to camp in an RV park, but they didn't have an bike spots or I wasn't over 55 or something dumb like that. Oh well.

Saturday, Nov. 8th
Day 45 - Buckeye to Hope, AZ
74 miles (2563)

Friday, Nov. 7th
Day 44 - Tempe to Buckeye, AZ
43 miles (2489 cum.)

Somehow yesterday I missed going to the Ceramics Museum, so I waited till 11 when it opened to go and check it out. It was definitely worth it, awesome permanent collection. So i didn't get to far today. Oh well.

Comments

Hildegarde said…
Envy. Envy. Envy. I'm a sinner. What a paradigm shift of existence, Mr. Lobb. And it's not over yet!

~Hill in SAV
Grahamhattan said…
Well, you've almost reached the end of this journey, Jammer. Cali-fucking-ornia! It's been a long trip thus far, so no one would have blamed you for cuddling up with a stranger in Joshua Tree... It is probably best you didn't. You should be able to find all sorts of nice young ladies in the Bay Area that will be impressed by your stamina...3000+ miles baby. There is a really good pick up line there somewhere. Just make sure to shower and shave first.
lily moriarty said…
germ!
where will you spend your birthday?

call me when you get here.
Mearns said…
Have you ever had Propel? It's terrible. I don't blame them for throwing it out the window.