Day 17 - Graceland, Memphis, Tennesee

0 Miles 

Doing a little r & r and some r & d atthe public Library here in Memphis with my Uncle Kevin. We're going to get some tent water proofing stuff at the sporting goods store, then go look at all the cars that Elvis had then maybe get some BBQ and listen to some Blues. Tomorrow Kevin will probably give me a ride across the Mississippi (no way over but interstates).

Thursday, October 9th
Day 16 - Holly Springs to Memphis, Tennesee
54 miles (820 cumulative)

I did a lot of back road meandering today, which was nice, ut probably cost me about 10 extra miles. Somewhere in thereI cross the boarder into Tennesee and took a quite eastern suburb route into Memphis to my Uncle Kevins place, ahead of schedule at about 3:30. It's great to see him and he's been very helpful, letting me dry out my gear and wash my clothes, feeding and beering me, etc. I consider this the end of the first leg of the trip for three reasons that have little to do with distance. 1) Kevin is the last family/ friend stop until, who knows when. 2) The Mississippi river is a good US geographic border. 3) It's pretty much strait west from here to the Mountains. Tomorrow is a rest day.

Wednesday, October 8th
Day 15 - Piney Grove to Holly Springs, MS
85 miles (766)

Soaking wet. It rained hard all night long. I hadn't noticed that my fly was not exactly water proofed. It's worked fine up until this point, though this is probably the first heavy rain it's been through. Everything was pretty well soaked, sleeping bag, camel pack, sleeping pad, tent, etc. Luckily there was a drier, where I dried some clothes and my bag for tonight, but packed eveything else, sopping wet.

Tuesday, October 7th
Day 14 - Bear Creek to Piney Grove Campground (near Tishomingo, MS)
64 miles (681)

Monday, October 6th
Day 13 - Cordova to Bear Creek, AL
60 miles (617)

Sunday, October 5th
Day 12 - Hoover to Cordova, AL
49 miles (557)

I woke up late and took forever getting ready and eating breakfast and drinking coffee with D and Racheal and chatting with Lloyd, Daniel's Dad and finally got on the road at noon.  About 12 miles outside of Birmingham I saw I had a flat.  I found a little bit of steel wire stuck in there, and I pulled it out and changed the tube and was back on the road again.
I got into the campsite around 5 and had to climb a hill to get to the registration office.   I was out of breath when I got up there and this little old gentleman comes out and asks where I'm coming from.  So I tell him, and then he asks where I'm going, and I tell him I'm headed to Memphis to see my uncle, then out to California, then Seattle.  He asks a few more questions, am I by myself, do I have spare tires, then says, 
"You go on down there by the bath house, the yeller buildin with the green top, theres a pavilion.  You camp right there, I won't charge you nothin."
So I tell him that's very sweet of him and he says,"
Oh, the wife and I go up that way to Memphis quite a bit and you got a ways to go.  I gotta go to church now, god bless you." and he gets in his car and drives off.
Cool, free site.    

Comments

Grahamhattan said…
ask any of age young lady on the street and she'll tell you that sopping wet is a good thing.
Steve said…
My parents were in Dollywood today, you close?
jameslobbjames said…
no, not close to Dollywood. In certain situations sopping wet maybe good. But not this one Graham.